2.14.2017

Financial Goals


We're all driven by different goals and different dreams.

I'm a Christian, which means that I strive to look at life through the lens of the Bible. I'm a wife, which means I have a built in best friend to help, support, and receive love and help from as well. I'm a mother, and I hope to teach Charlotte to look at life through the lens of the Bible, as well as many beautiful life skills.

During the week, I fold a load of laundry a day, make meals at home, and do dishes at least once a day. During those times when my hands are busy and also when I'm riding in the car without Matt, I like to listen to podcasts, because they're a free way to acquire someone else's opinion, and, often, some wisdom. I work a part time job as a secretary, and I am currently taking a pottery class as well as a Financial Peace University class. I want to be continually growing in knowledge about the things I'm passionate about, from people who are giving glory to their Creator. Because of this Financial Peace University class, we're focused on budgeting this season, and taking steps toward our financial goals.

Here's a list of some of my favorite financial podcasts, so you can listen when your hands are busy.
  • Dave Ramsey: Dave's radio show has helped Matt and I make sound Biblical choices and stay away from debt while we save and invest. Listening to this show often, helps keep these goals in my mind and makes the daily "sacrifice" of not spending easier for me.
  • Business Boutique: This is a podcast about running a business. We're hoping to start a window cleaning business in 2018, and I have been soaking up information from this podcast.
  • Retire Inspired: This is a podcast about setting goals for Retirement. This guy has the best voice and motivates me with his wording. If you think retirement is an old people thing, Chris Hogan says, "Retirement is a smart people thing."
We've budgeting hard core this month, paying attention to all of the categories and being purposeful not just to live on less than we make (something I wish more Americans did), but to meet our financial goals.

In the past, like with my weight loss goals, I have found that I do best when I make my/our goals public. It holds me accountable to keep taking the same steps forward.

Our financial goal for this year is to pay as much of our mortgage off as we can. We currently owe $78,937.13 on our home. If you knew our income, you would know that we can not meet this goal this year, or next year, and that probably this goal will take us at least five years of focus. Chris Hogan says, "I'm focused, and I'm not finished."

What's the point of paying off our home? What's the long term goal? What's our "WHY?" 

Long term, Matt and I would like to pay for our next home, our dream home, with cash, and live a completely debt-free life. Long term, Matt and I would like to teach our children to be intentional and generous with their money. Long term, Matt and I would like to change our family tree, and not by handing our children the world, but by teaching them, from an early age, that there are specifics in the Bible concerning money and the way it should be handled.


The Bible Says:


Proverbs 21:20 "There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up.” A fool lives paycheck to paycheck, with nothing left over.

Hebrew 12:11 “Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.” This is hard work. This is not easy, but it will change your life.

Matthew 6:21 "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” Look at your budget. Look where you're spending your money. That's where your heart is.

Proverbs 13:22 “A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children...” 

Proverbs 22:6-7 "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender." Teach your children early that debt is making someone other than God your master. 

Romans 13:8 "Owe no man any thing, but to love him..." That's a pretty clear verse. 

The Bible isn't a rule book that we should use to smack people into line, the Bible is spotlight to show us the best possible path through life, with our dependence on Jesus Christ.

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore your lovely comments!