10.07.2011

picnic in the park

Last night I was feeling spontaneous. When Matt called me to tell me he was on his way home, I told him I thought we should dine picnic style. I packed our peanut butter and honey sandwiches, BBQ chips, Bible, blanket, water bottle, and Peter Pan book into our picnic basket and waited as patiently as a five year old child would.

I had a little surprise for Matthew. It is, after all, his birthday month. Matthew is not materialistic. He doesn't have a huge birthday wish list like me. I'm a girl. I'm predictable. I love purses, jewelry, shoes, home decor, and everything vintage. Matt is a boy. He likes... things he already has. Well, one such thing that he already had was a water bottle. It was his favorite. Brand: Nalgene. Size: 32 oz. Color: Opaque with a blue lid.

One day while Matthew was faithfully mowing along on his giant riding lawn mower, his water bottle abandoned him. He doesn't even know where it left him and when he looked for it, he couldn't find it. So I ordered one for his birthday. Yesterday, UPS delivered it.

I want you to know something about me. I am a horrible secret keeper. I just like people to be happy as soon as possible. Why wait for his birthday? So my surprise for Matthew was that I had his new water bottle in the picnic basket. I know, it's a small thing, but I knew he would be excited.

After his quick shower, we loaded up the accord. We headed to the park and found our spot.


It was one of those perfect autumn afternoons where the breeze kept me cool and my husband arms kept me warm. After we spread the blanket and ate the food, Matt leaned up to get a drink out of the basket. It was so cute when he saw the bottle. He got this adorable look on his face and then he kissed me. I like to be kissed. :) 

It was a small birthday present. It was a small surprise. But it made him happy, and that makes me happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore your lovely comments!