5.13.2020

Sourdough Success


Earlier this year, in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, we found a bakery downtown that had loaves of sourdough bread for a couple of US dollars. We went there in addition to our normal grocery shopping so that we could have fresh, on-plan (and cheap!) bread. Closer to the end of our trip, we realized that a farmstand/restaurant closer to our rental home had cheaper and just as scrumptious sourdough and made a habit of relieving them of a loaf whenever we drove by.

Three months later, our local buy-nothing group had a mason jar sourdough bread starter offering, and I thought something along the lines of, "That's the person I want to be. What's the worst that can happen?" My sister and I have faithfully fed this starter, and this week, we have made two loaves of sourdough bread with plans for a couple more near the end of the week.

I have nothing new or unique to add to what you know about sourdough baking, but maybe you, like me a couple of weeks ago, know basically nothing about sourdough and wouldn't mind a couple of webpages to use as resources.

A Starter from Scratch Video (and also helpful information!)
Beginner's Guide Blog

Also, if you're local and want some sourdough starter, message me! You can come by with a glass jar/bowl, and I'll help you skip the slow start!

Happy Baking and Stay Healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore your lovely comments!