8.05.2018

Personalities



They're still too young to tell.

This past year, my group of friends stumbled (ok, I forced them) into the Myers-Briggs personality test. My favorite version is this one.

My personality is called ENTJ-T. If you read the article I linked there, you'll be getting a full peek into the way I see the world. Honestly, some bits of that article are shocking to me. It's EXACTLY how I think but would never have thought to (or been willing to) say out loud.

...Their ability to think strategically and hold a long-term focus while executing each step of their plans with determination and precision...
...If there’s anyone Commanders respect, it’s someone who is able to stand up to them intellectually, who is able to act with a precision and quality equal to their own...
...Friendships of circumstance, built on things like shared routines, are not Commanders’ preferred method – rather, they pursue their friends, seek out individuals who share their passion for deep, meaningful discussions, and who enjoy learning and development as much as they do... 

Recently, Matt and I have been thinking about how your child's individual personalities should affect how you parent them. In 1 Corinthians 9, Paul talks about how he is all things to all people. He changes how he relates to people in order to better reach them, and it's a beautiful example of how we should relate to others. When I know someone's Myers-Briggs personality type, it helps me to know how they'll react and, often, what they need from me.

We don't yet know what personalities our daughters have. If I had to guess on Charlotte's personality type, going simply off what each letter stands for, I would guess ESTJ, but it's still too early to actually know. For Portia, I'd be guessing completely blindly, so I won't even bother.

It's fascinating to me how God made so many beautiful variations in how we think, feel, and react, while making us similar to each other, and also creating us in His own image.

Just a conversation worth having. Have you considered that your children, spouse, and friends need different things from you, depending on their God-given personality? Matt is an ISFJ , someone completely different from me. If I'm not yielding to the Holy Spirit, I can walk up and down our marriage in selfishness. These are a couple of excerpts from Matt's personality type.

...They have a tendency to underplay their accomplishments, and while their kindness is often respected, more cynical and selfish people are likely to take advantage of Defenders’ dedication and humbleness...
...Defenders are meticulous and careful, taking a steady approach and bending with the needs of the situation just enough to accomplish their end goals. Defenders not only ensure that things are done to the highest standard, but often go well beyond what is required...
What about you? Do you know your Myers-Briggs personality type? Have you thought about how the personalities of those you love should affect the way you interact with them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore your lovely comments!