11.07.2017

Children's Clothes




 I have not purchased a single new piece of clothing ever for Charlotte, and I don't intend to start.

To be fair, I consider her closet meticulously curated. We don't do loud colors, cartoony animals, or ruffles and frills. I'm picky and purposeful about what I choose for her, but my top priority in her closet is inexpensive.

1. Consignment Stores

  • When I was pregnant with Charlotte, I tried several consignment stores before I found the right fit. The key to this is to not go to the expensive, chain children's consignment stores (though those still beat retail!), but to find a smaller, out of the way store. When I was gifted a double without a receipt or found I had too many of something, I would take those things to my consignment store and be given either store credit or cash (depending on what I brought in). The owner was always happy to see me come, because I never brought her junk, but then I was able to take my store credit (cash always gets spent on other things) and shop the store! I pick through the racks, piling up dresses, boots, jackets, and cloth diapers and walk out without spending a dime, every time! She was happy with what I had given her, but I was giving her things I did not want or need and leaving with things I did! You can't beat free!

2. Thrift Stores
  • It is easy to get turned off by a dirty thrift store, so first things first: Get to know the thrift stores in your area. If you asked me which thrift store I would shop for children's clothes, I would give you a different answer than if you asked me which thrift store I would check for furniture. Some thrift stores are great for certain things and rubbish for others. This depends on the neighborhood they pick up from (or get things dropped off from) and the amount of turn-over in the store. If you need advice, ask people who you know go thrifting.
  • The amount of money children's items cost varies from store to store, and sometimes it's worth going to a more "expensive" thrift store to get something specific or in perfect condition still wearing its tag. $1.00 is always an agreeable price for a piece of clothing, but I'll spend $5.00 if I've been looking for a jacket I like for her in that size, or I see a pair of boots in great shape. It certainly beats retail.

3. Facebook Marketplace
  • Full disclosure, I have never bought children's clothes from Facebook Marketplace, but I sell children's clothes on Facebook Marketplace regularly. So I know that there are like-new clothes, way below retail (and often in large lots of a certain size), on Facebook Marketplace just waiting to be snapped up on the cheap. Just like the first two options, you do have to wade through the ugly stuff to find the gems, but for the money you save, it's worth checking into!

What is on the rack in Old Navy this season, is on the rack at the thrift store next season, and if you keep your eyes open you can find exactly what you like for 90% off retail, like new. This is one of the ways that we have saved the most money in our family spending.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore your lovely comments!