9.15.2012

rule number one

Beg, borrow, and steal.

Honestly, this is my new life motto. A golden piece of advice given to me by one of my college professors. He was talking about our future lives as teachers and he encouraged each of us, "You're not the first person who has done this. Look around as often as possible. Always remember rule number one: beg, borrow, and steal."

Very rarely does anyone do anything for the truly first time. Almost always, they are taking an idea that someone else had and adding to it; tweaking it until it shines with their finger prints. Often I'm scared to take someone else's idea, hoping to think up something truly original. It hasn't happened yet. Even when I think I've found something original, a quick check around the internet proves me at least second.

So tweak things. When you find a good idea, write it down. Have a place where you keep inspiration. Sort it by category if you have different venues that strike you. Pinterest is a great place to sort things, but sometimes things are tangible, found somewhere in the day to day. Make sure you have a place where you put those ideas too. I find if I don't think it's important enough to write down/ file, it won't be important enough to remember/ act on later.

Just a little encouragement to everyone out there who, like me, has trouble coming up with something completely original. So, your voice may not be heard by everyone. Keep talking. So, your craft may not be remade by everyone. Keep crafting. Continue to be yourself, but don't be afraid to find inspiration in everything. Keep doing what you love and remember to beg, borrow, and steal.

1 comment:

  1. Breanna Epperly9/16/12, 1:26 AM

    I feel like you should write for a newspaper or something you do so well. I miss you :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore your lovely comments!