1.09.2017

Friendship with the world


James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? Whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

When "The Girl on the Train" trailer came out, I was intrigued. What happened to the beautiful blonde lady? Was she killed? Who killed her? What was their motive?

My husband does his best to protect his eyes from sexuality, so I knew we wouldn't watch the movie, and when I saw the book at Thrift for $1.00, I bought it and put it in my stocking, excited to find the answers to my questions in a fast paced read. I knew there might be language or sexuality in the book (from the movie trailer), but I still brought it into our home, and (armed with a micron pen to cross out and replace objectionable content) I began to read.

The story moves quickly, and I wanted to get to the conclusion, but the book is infested with adultery. Yes, there is a murder and that is the "great sin," but the adultery is commonplace. Everyone is doing it. No big deal. Reading this book, you'd think it was true: everyone cheats on their spouse. Not everyone murders. Murder is bad. Adultery is acceptable.

I was struck afresh today when reading the books James, I think because it literally starts with "Adulterers and adulteresses..." God says, you can't be friends with me and live like that. "Friendship with the world is enmity with God."

I'm not cheating on Matt, which is good, but inviting a book like that into our home, was, for me, accepting a friendship with the world. He that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin. James 4:17

Am I against The Girl on the Train? No, not specifically. I'm against sin. I'm against things that are against my God. I refuse to entertain myself with the things my Lord went to the cross for. I had to ask God to forgive me for putting my own lusts before Him. I wanted to share with you how God has convicted me lately. I'm praying that you'll join me in keeping your mind and home free from sin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore your lovely comments!